Friday, June 27, 2014

Makeup Essentials for Glowing Summer Skin




Some products are notoriously difficult to photograph, aren't they!? Kevyn Aucoin's offerings definitely take the biscuit on that score - reflective casing and cameras do not mix!

That aside...

Glowing skin is an absolute must for me in summer, and I am forever hunting down the best beauty products to help me achieve that. Just the right shade of bronzer to give me that sun-kissed look without going overboard, the perfect peach or coral blush, a subtle highlighter that won't make me look like a glitterball in the sun, and something to sculpt my cheeks for that chiselled effect.

This summer, it seems I have found all four.

This particular Kevyn Aucoin Creamy Glow Duo consists of two of his most iconic products - the Sculpting Powder and The Celestial Powder in Candlelight - but in cream formula. When I first ordered this compact, I wasn't sure what to expect, and it's fair to say that the size when it arrived on my doorstep was initially a little bit disappointing - but then again, for the price, and compared to the full-size items, it certainly isn't bad. Thankfully, the products themselves are entirely redeeming. The sculpting powder is just perfect for the purpose, a taupe shade without too many red or orange tones and leaning ever so slightly grey. I dot onto the hollows of my cheeks and then blend using my Real Techniques Stippling Brush for perfectly sculpted cheekbones, and I have to say, although subtle, it somehow makes all the difference, creating that perfectly natural shadow. I tend to keep it for special occasions and evenings out, as while I'd like to use it daily, I like to keep something back, a secret weapon for when I really need it. Plus I'm scared I'll run out!

For a healthy, golden glow all over, I dust some Kevyn Aucoin Celestial Bronzing Veil lightly over my cheekbones, down my nose and across my forehead and chin. Again, it is subtle, but adds so much warmth to my face. I no longer look pale, but nor do I look 'overdone' -  it appears completely natural on the skin, and would suit the majority of tones. I wear Tropical Days, but you can always go for Tropical Nights if you are that bit darker.

As I mentioned before, it's a good blush that I feel makes any look, particularly at this time of year, and for me, Benefit Rockateur* (now available from QVC as well as all the usual haunts) more than ticks all the right boxes. It's a rose gold powder, reminiscent of Nars Orgasm and Sleek Rose Gold, but in my eyes it manages to top both. A light dusting on the apples of the cheeks provides a sheer but buildable wash of colour, once again incredibly natural-looking but with added sheen. Rockateur blends fantastically and has great staying power - not much more I could ask for in a cheek product.

To finish, I sway between Kevyn Aucoin's Candlelight cream and  the Laura Mercier Matte Radiance Baked Powder in 01. I find that the perfect combination is a dusting of  the Baked Powder across the tops of my cheekbones, and a smidgen of the Candlelight cream blended down the centre of my nose, beneath the eyebrows and just on top of the cupid's bow.

Between the four of them, they've got all my summer skin makeup needs covered, and I can see myself reaching for them time and again across the coming months (fingers crossed the sunshine lasts!).

Which products do you rely on to give you that summer glow?

xx


2 comments:

  1. The celestial bronzer looks so amazing. I always stare at it longingly in Space NK, the ombre effect in the palette looks so pretty. I agree though the celestial highlighter and sculpting powder are the perfect duo for amazing chiselled cheekbones! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, they are definitely worth the splurge! The bronzer is just perfect xx

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I read every last word and love hearing your views! It really brightens up my day.

For all PR enquiries, please contact me at: melswallofmirrors@yahoo.co.uk