Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fake Mac Blushes: How to Spot and Avoid






I was foolish enough to buy myself a Mac Mineralize Blush in Dainty from Ebay, and surprise, surprise, what arrived at my house turned out to be a fake. To be honest, I was aware of the risks, but the seller had such a good reputation that I thought I'd give them a go. I suppose you could say that I got lucky on this one, as my purchase initially got lost in the post and so the seller refunded me. However, the little parcel eventually turned up, and when I saw what was inside, despite having assured the seller that were it to appear then I would happily pay for my item, I decided there and then that I would certainly not be doing so! You hear about fakes being difficult to spot, but I have to say that that was certainly not the case here. I knew it was fake the second I laid eyes on it, and I'm fairly sure that any self-respecting Mac lover would have been able to too.
But, just in case, I have photographic evidence here to share with you, just to ensure that none of you fall into the same trap. You might think that a good fake is just as nice as the real product, but be warned - fake branded cosmetic products will not have undergone any of the required tests, and it can be very dangerous to use them on your skin. Some have even been proven to have dangerous levels of lead in them, and we don't want to be using products like that, do we?

Above, you will see pictures of the box my fake blush came in, from every possible side. Unfortunately, I didn't have a real box handy to compare it with, but perhaps if any of you have one to hand then you could have a little look at that to see how it differs, and below I will show you both real and fake products in order for you to see the differences.

Honestly, this is such a bad fake it's ridiculous.


So, the first giveaway is the colour of the pigmentation itself. Dainty does NOT look like this. In fact, it looks like it does in the picture below.


Now let's look at the packaging. First, you will see two pictures of the fake 'Dainty', from the top and the bottom, and then you will see the same pictures of my real Mac Mineralize blush in Gleeful, followed by some comparative shots of the two.









As you can see the packaging is as huge a giveaway as the pigmentation itself.

  • Firstly, real Mac blushes do not come in shiny packaging. 
  • Secondly, look at the labels on the backs of the two blushes. The real one has the name of the shade written in capital letters, whereas the fake does not. The real label features grey writing (it's not just old!), while the details on the fake label are printed in bright white.
  • The Mac writing on the front of the compact is a fair bit thicker and darker on the fake blush than it is on the real one.
  • The fake blush has the code 'CB1' printed above the shade name, whereas the real blush has nothing of the sort.
I haven't even bothered trying this out on my skin, and I certainly won't be doing, either. In a way, I think I'm glad that my purchase ended up being so clearly fake, if it has to be fake at all, as I think it's always worse when you are not sure. I know that if that were the case, I would be tempted to use it, as I wouldn't want to have wasted my money, but at least in this instance, I know not to take the risk.

Lesson learned here: Do NOT buy makeup from Ebay - it's too high risk and a waste of time.

Have you ever accidentally found yourself with a fake Mac product? If so, how were you able to tell, and what did you do about it?


27 comments:

  1. Got a fake MAC lipstick. I knew it was probably fake but got anyway cus kinda wanted to compare, the fake is bigger, lighter and has a seam inside the twisty bit whereas max does now. As well as the logo being slightly bigger too! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *mac does not
      Gosh commenting int phone is hard, now I remember why I don't usually...

      Delete
    2. Good to know hun, I actually read that Buyapowa's Mac products were even called into question recently, and I really thought theirs were genuine! I think it can get to the point where, with really good fakes, even those supplying them can be unaware!xx

      Delete
  2. there are so many mac and benefit fakes on ebay now. god knows what ingredients they have in them. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, I wrote an article for my student newspaper a while back after picking up a fake MAC fluidline. I now never buy cosmetics from Ebay, especially brand name ones! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I never will again! So annoying, isn't it - I wish it was better regulated.xx

      Delete
  4. Bastards - but what a great opportunity for you to let us all know what to look out for! Fantastic post, love it.

    Following you back from the comment you left on my video http://superficialsydney.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in a way it worked out well! Haha, thanks hun xx

      Delete
  5. I've never bought makeup from EBay and after reading your post I think it'll stay that way! Great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun, yeah, don't! It's not worth it xx

      Delete
  6. I am always weary of buying make up online and after your post I will 100% not buy anything! You were lucky you got your money back I would have been fuming if I didn't! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was lucky, especially as I only got it back by default! Ha xx

      Delete
  7. Great post. I recently bought a fake MAC lipstick from a well known website here in Malta. I did a post on it as well :http://www.beautyshewrote.info/2012/06/how-to-spot-fake-cosmetics-mac.html

    They tried to tell me it was real, but i stuck by my gun and they eventually stopped selling it. Which I was happy about.

    Elle xx
    www.beautyshewrote.info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, I remember reading your post on it! Well done on getting it stopped!xx

      Delete
  8. I fell into this trap!

    www.charlottelucie.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely bought a fake benefit boi-ing once, it was ridiculously watery! I think people always get tempted to buy high-end products on ebay (me included) because it's cheaper but it's really just not worth it!

    Great post :)

    alizzet101.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not, it's just a waste of money. You do hear of people saying they just use them anyway, but I wouldn't and couldn't.xx

      Delete
  10. Crikey, I didn't even know these things happened; thanks for the warning xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post - I was so unaware that people went to ALL that trouble to make fakes of make up products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, apparently there are full on factories dedicated to it in Asia!xx

      Delete
  12. I just bought the exact same fake MAC mineralize blush in Dainty off an Australian seller on Ebay - I was wondering if it was a fake as it was definitely not the same colour as the Dainty blush I tested at the MAC counter! What a disappointment! Thankyou so much for this blog post as I had scoured the internet searching for fake mineralize blushes and how to tell.. my fake looks exactly like your fake in the photos.

    Lesson: never buy MAC from ebay again. I am definitely leaving a negative review on ebay and asking for my money back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I certainly won't be buying any makeup from Ebay again, it's not worth the risk as we don't know what is in these fakes!xx

      Delete
  13. Wow that really is awful! I really can't bring myself to buy something from Ebay now!! :/
    I will try to follow your blog later when Google decides to love me again!

    HannahMarieBeauty.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, best to avoid it! I've also found Ebay sellers trying to sell of REALLY old stock, as in products that have been repackaged twice since and are probably no longer usable :( xx

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I read every last word and love hearing your views! It really brightens up my day.

For all PR enquiries, please contact me at: melswallofmirrors@yahoo.co.uk